Thursday 23 April 2009

CONTEST WINNER - Mary Ricksen


Mary Ricksen won a years free promotion with the 'Authors of Romance eBooks' blog when she subscribed and entered her name into the contest held in the previous issue. I would like to thank everyone who took part, but there can only be one winner per quarter and this time, that was Mary.

I was born in Burlington, Vermont, and grew up spending my summers by the shores of Lake Champlain on Keeler's Bay. As we'd pull up to camp the first thing you smelled was fresh cut grass. The green earthy smell of water and the mountains in the distance, just hit me with the feeling that I belonged here. Six kids made a mad dash for the shore flinging clothes on the way. I didn't want to be the rotten egg!

I remember as I looked into the deep, clear, waters, of Lake Champlain a feeling would come over me. The sunlight made everything glitter and the rhythmic sound of the water as it gently lapped at the side of the dock, mesmerized me. I found worlds to escape to, in the reflections that flashed the brightness of day. A romantic, handsome, (of course), young man would take the oars of my rowboat and we'd glide over the Lake with each pull of his powerful arms. In my imagination I always got the perfect guy. Little people lived under the rocks and leaves onshore and would protect the pristine shores by making the rocks so slippery you couldn't walk on them. If I dove in the water, the cold, the sudden quiet, and the underwater visuals, spurred me further. At night, ah, at night the fireflies would flash endlessly and the stars were countless. To me the beauty was incomparable. I lost myself in the lake and the my many day dreams became fodder for my books.

I write time travel romance novels. I want to take you away with my words and give you that happy ending. I want to pull your heartstrings and if you let me I will. My first book Tripping Through Time is now in print. I take my heroine from her life in I am furiously close to finishing the second, Burned Into Time, it's a stant alone sequel to Tripping Through Time. I sure hope you enjoy my stories.

Tripping Through Time

Excerpt:

What the hell? She knew this wasn't still in some part of that nightmare trip she'd taken. It was too real, the place too old-fashioned. She heard crickets and saw lightning bugs twinkle outside the window. A fly buzzed over her head and she listened to a mosquito or two, droning in their search for the rich, red blood beneath her skin.

She didn't hear the blast of car horns, tire sounds on pavement, or the grinding noise from trucks changing gears as they flew up and down the hilly countryside. It was so quiet, no music, no talking, nothing. Then she heard a latch lift and something large and furry jumped up onto the bed, knocking the breath out of her.

Anxiety left her speechless as the light from the open door spilled into the room and onto the bed she lay in. The dog lay next to her, warm and wild smelling, doing her no harm. The large figure approaching her now made her breathless, anxious. She knew it was a man; his silhouette was outlined by the light behind him.

When he reached the bed, he bent toward her, only to pick up the tiny piece of candle still barely burning. He lit a stained glass-covered lantern and placed it on the bed stand beside it. Keealyn stared into a pair of green eyes that reminded her of misty mornings.
Clean-shaven, his thick, dark chestnut hair flowed past the collar of his navy muslin shirt. It was opened halfway down the front, to reveal a smooth muscular chest. Very tall, lean, and brawny, well-defined biceps, triceps, and pecs filled his shirt. He had a slim waist and strong shoulders. His worn blue jeans were held up with a handmade leather belt, hung low on his hips. His skin seemed to glow in the lamplight in a warm, bronzed tone.
He was gorgeous.

********
For more information on Mary Ricksen, click on these links http://www.pinkfuzzyslipperwriters.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment