Thursday 23 April 2009

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT - Ruth Ann Nordin


I live near Omaha, Nebraska which is the center of the United States of America. I am a stay-at-home mom of four children (all boys from ages 3-6), and I'm the wife of a military man (got to love a man in uniform!). But when I'm not being a wife and mother, I am a reader and a writer. Romance is, by far, the most interesting genre out there. I know this is just an opinion, but it's one I've acquired after years of reading and writing science fiction, fantasy, YA, and thrillers. I started reading romances two years ago and fell in love with them. From there, I started writing them and it's been a wonderful 'love affair' ever since. It took me 34 years but I finally found something that is my own that I can get passionate about. The fun doesn't stop with the reading and writing either. I have met some terrific readers and writers, and I have noticed that romance readers and writers tend to be the most enthusiastic and down-to-earth people I've ever met. Maybe it's because they, like me, love a happy ending.

And in the spirit of having fun reading, I'm offering two free romance ebooks off of my website.

An Unlikely Place for Love

An Unlikley Place for Love: The Disguises of Kate Tanner
Historical Romantic Comedy (rated PG 13)

Kate Tanner is getting more than she bargained for in this "woman disguised as a man" romance. Fleeing from her parents' killers, she disguises herself as Billy Ingram and leaves the big city Virginia life to work on a remote farm out in the middle of nowhere, North Dakota where the handsome, but aloof, Chad Walker hires her as a farmhand. Between trying to prove that she can handle the more demanding farm chores and trying to fit in with the other farmhands, she has her work cut out for her. Then, one morning, Chad discovers she's a woman, so she quickly makes up the excuse that "Billy's" sister, Kate, decided to come by for a visit. That's when things really get interesting. Lacy Montgomery is in love with "Billy" and nothing disgusts the woman. The farmhands are in love with Kate. She's in love with Chad who may or may not love her back. Her brother, the real Billy, shows up and she's forced to don on another female disguise to ward off Lacy altogether. Among the laughter and constant costume changes, Kate might discover that the most unlikely place for love is the perfect place after all.

Excerpt:
Chad catches Kate (who's supposed to be 'Bob') sleeping naked in the loft...

The next morning, just as the sun was rising, Chad decided to collect the eggs so he could make scrambled eggs. He put three eggs into his basket. He wondered how many eggs Bob wanted so he decided to climb the ladder to ask him. When he reached the top, his jaw dropped for he saw a beautiful woman sleeping in the loft. Bob was nowhere in sight. The woman had long blond wavy hair that was spread over the pillow. She was also naked, and the blanket only covered the lower half of her body. He forced himself to action and quickly went back down the ladder. He took a moment to regain his composure.

"Where is Bob?" he finally yelled so he would wake her up.

He heard her stir.

"Where is Bob?" He asked the question louder this time.

He heard her gasp. She peered over the edge of the loft and looked down at him. She looked as shocked as he felt.

"Where is Bob?" he repeated.

She seemed to be struggling for an answer.

"Can you speak?" he demanded.

"Bob is at the outhouse," she replied. "He’ll be back soon. If you go back to the house, I’ll tell him to talk to you there."

He decided he wouldn’t give her a lecture about sleeping with Bob on his property. "While you’re at it, get dressed," he ordered before he left for the house.

He forced himself to calm down. He didn’t know what was worse. Knowing Bob was lying to him about sleeping around or the fact that he was so aroused by seeing the woman in the loft. It had been almost a year since he had any interaction with a woman, and the fact that she was naked only made it that much more difficult to forget how turned on he was. He didn’t recognize her. Was she new in town? He hadn’t been to town in ten months.

Five minutes later, Bob ran into the house, looking overwhelmed.

Chad was sitting at the kitchen table. His jaw clenched. "I do not approve of immoral behavior on my property. Send her home and don’t bring her back."

"It’s not what it looks like," Bob quickly argued. "I’m not sleeping with her."

"You expect me to believe that?"

"Yes. She’s my sister."

Chad scoffed. "Then what was she doing sleeping naked in the loft?"

"You saw her naked?" Bob’s eyes grew wide. Then he asked, "Did you like what you saw?"

He shook his head. "What kind of question is that?"

"Just making conversation."

How could Bob make light of this situation?

Bob sat across from him. "Look, she came here late last night. I had to let her stay here. She has nowhere else to go. I slept in the space under the loft, so we weren’t sleeping in the loft together. That would be gross."

*********

With This Ring, I Thee Dread

With This Ring, I Thee Dread
Contemporary Romantic Comedy (rated R)


Ryan Jackson and Elizabeth Valentine can't stand each other. Unfortunately for them, their parents get along great and decide to play matchmaker in a very unusual way. In order to keep their jobs, they will have to get married and spend four months in a remote Alaskan cabin. They accept the terms but are determined that their parents' ruse will never work. And it all goes according to plan...until Ryan decides he wants to stay in the marriage. Then all bets are off.
Excerpt:
Who Knew a Food Fight Could Lead to More? She threw two more eggs at him, but they flew by him and landed on the floor. “Stay back!”

“You’re having fun.”

“I am not!” she fibbed.

“I see a smile forming on your lips. You like getting messy.”

“Are you crazy? I have to clean myself and the kitchen up.”

“I told you I have the kitchen covered. And I’ll be happy to take care of you too.”

She knew she couldn’t hold onto the sprayer once he grabbed it. He was too strong for her. She shrieked as he sprayed water all over her.

He stopped and stared at her. “Aren’t you going to run out of the kitchen?”

She hesitated. If she did that, she would get the living room messy.

As if he could read her mind, he asked, “Can I do anything I want to you in this kitchen because you refuse to get the rest of the cabin dirty?”

She struggled to make her wet feet move but her mind refused to go. She was covered in wet flour. It felt like paste. How could she leave a trail of this awful stuff on the floor so she could get to the shower?

“I’m getting closer,” he warned her, stepping towards her.

She anxiously looked at the doorway. She turned to the eggs and threw one at his chest. Before she could throw another one at him, he took her in his arms and kissed her.

Five star review from shagadenise:
"This is the first book I have read from Ruth Ann Nordin, and I must say, it left me delighted, inspired, and it provoked my thinking in many ways. "With This Ring, I Thee Dread" is a mulit-faceted romance novel that contains not only love and passion, but the many life lessons that go along with it."

For more information about me and my books, please go to http://www.ruthannnordin.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment